Burnt IC replacement project.

Recently I purchased a used rack mountable 16 outlet power strip (Synaccess netBooter NP16) which has both serial console access and network access. This is a really cool piece of gear as it allows you to remotely turn on individual power outlets from (if configured) anywhere in the world.

IMG_4818IMG_4819The problem though is the power strip was broken. It appeared to be working, or at least the 16 LEDs to indicate the outlets turned on when powered up. Only 8 of the 16 internal relays (yellow components below) were cycling when powering on.

IMG_4812After some testing with my Fluke multimeter, I found power was getting to the both halves of the board, both outlet banks were still conducive, and that’s when I found one of the integrated-circuits [IC] was completely burnt out.

IMG_4815-2In my past I have repaired burnt out traces on boards but not a component, such as an IC. I figured I didn’t have anything to lose as this broken unit became free. I contacted the seller and he shipped me another working unit and didn’t want the old one back. Also figured that if I repaired the broken one I could pay for all the components and gear I buy to pay for the project.

IMG_4813I bought a nicer soldering iron and a solder sucker. As for the components, I was lucky enough that there was an identical chip design internally which allowed me to pull the part number for the IC.

IMG_4817I ordered the parts from Mouser and waited a week for the IC to be delivered. The part came in, I replaced the IC after watching a video online, reassembled everything, and plugged in the unti to the wall, and !POP! The brand new IC blew across the garage. I was stumped, so I asked a friend, an engineer what he thought. His suggestion was to check the components against the good board and he would forward the information to his father, an electrical engineer. One more week later his father got back to us and suggested I check the operation of the AC bridge rectifier. I was getting inconsistent readings on the bridge rectifier against the good board so I decided it need to be replace. I also noticed the capacitor was bulging so I decided to spend the extra $3.30 for it and buy it rather than wait. So I ordered a bridge rectifier (DF06-G), a capacitor (EEU-ED2G330S), and another IC (TNY267PN) from DigiKey and a week later the parts were here. At this point my roommates had heard of my peril of exploding IC chips and wanted to witness it first hand. They were disappointed when it worked after plugging in the unit to the wall after replacing the components. A few weeks later everything is still working, pretty good for someone with most of their knowledge coming from the interwebs.

This entry was posted in Technology. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Burnt IC replacement project.

  1. Jeff Slaughter says:

    Thanks for this information. I have around 55 of the two port ones that have this same issue.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *